Monday 15 October 2012

An evening by the sea.

Last night I was treated to a very rare evening out, courtesy of Mr Me's parents. Fighting a cold all weekend I was looking forward to the fresh Autumn sea air clearing my head. It worked.



We spent our evening in Torquay. Now, those who know me know my opinion on the seaside towns in Devon. I rarely wax lyrical about them. Although lots offer fab places to eat great local fish so not all is lost. If you are looking for amazing restauranty type fish I'd recommend the No 7 Fish Bistro near the Harbour in Torquay. Or, if it's great fish and a view that you are after (as long as you aren't fussed about the side dishes) I loved the atmosphere of The Breakwater Bistro in Brixham.



Last night we were treated to a turn (or 3!) on the Torquay Wheel. On loan until 4th Nov (so hurry!) this giant wheel offers splendid views over the bay. According to their site "At 60 metres high the big wheel recently installed on Torquay sea front is taller than Nelson's Column. " Not entirely sure how relevant that is. All I can tell you is that I couldn't see Nelson's Column from Torquay sea front*. If you *would* like to see Nelson's Column you can do so from the top deck of most central London buses. My favourite time and way to see said column is from the N87 to Kingston (via Clapham Junction) at about 5 in the morning.

But back to the "Torquay Eye". We went on in the evening, not as cold as you'd think, and were treated to views of the bay all lit up. Looking out for Berry Head lighthouse was my favourite bit and I was certainly treated to a nicer aspect of Torquay that I am used to. If you have a problem with heights I wouldn't suggest you go on it - it does rock a little and is glass, not to mention being an awfully long way up! Although it was a lovely evening and it did clear the cobwebs...



*In much the same way that Mrs Richards couldn't see herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plains from her Torquay Hotel bedroom window

No comments:

Post a Comment