Monday 2 July 2012

Slugs

Yay! It's July! That means outdoor eating, peeling shoulders, flip flops and the first of the new potatoes.


Oh, it's still raining. Well, if not raining then mizzling. The kind of rain that gets you drenched without penetrating your clothes. The kind of rain that means you are perpetually walking through a cloud. The kind of rain that never lifts long enough to dry clothes, eat outside or wear flip flops.


In fact, since you asked, I am wearing thick warm winter boots. 


Since hacking the herb garden to death I've been waiting and watching to see if the runner beans will climb the wigwam I've lovingly built for them. Should I be watering them? It really is very wet out there. But they are looking less healthy than when they were given to me. 


I ventured out.


I wish I hadn't. Death and destruction met my eyes. Slugs? But I'd been so careful with my lettuces in the veg plot. Pesky slugs. Right, that is it. I shall give in and sprinkle (liberally) blue scary pellets all over the soil. And add more compost. And water. Then I shall walk away and wait like a patient James for my beanstalk to appear magically...


Wigwam and watering can




Whether or not we'll actually get any beans this year is yet to be seen. However, I am pleased with the slug free lettuce. It may be raining but I shall eat salad!


Homegrown lettuce and spring onion

No comments:

Post a Comment