Tuesday 28 August 2012

A Blog About Blood.

Last week I donated blood for the first time. I realise that a lot of people donate blood all the time and that I shouldn't really be "showing off" about it. I shall endeavour not to come across as worthy in this post. I certainly don't want to give you all ins and outs of blood donation from a sciency medical point of view. For all those details see the wonderful PR and Comms on the blood people's website. Team GB. Team Give Blood. Oh, that is clever. I like that. See? They can market themselves wonderfully without me getting all lyrical about it.

However, I wanted to tell you about my experience. There is no getting away from the fact that giving blood is a bit worthy and that it is hugely worthwhile. Those that can give blood, should.

Yes, yes, but actually going about it provides a million excuses for the everyday sort of procrastinator, much less the sort who has a fear of all things Hospital. I get nervous just sitting in the Dr's surgery. I don't get on well with hospitals and have had some nasty times in them. Aside from the smells, noises and trapped souls I think the actual architecture doesn't help. Hospitals, like hotels, are a maze of corridors lined with large bins of dirty linen, with windows that don't open and false, eerie lighting. Prone to sensory overload and a rising panic it is best that I don't frequent hospital environs.

I decided though, for personal reasons, that I would like to try and give blood. What is the worst that could happen?

I could faint. Yes, I could. I nearly passed out having a blood test once. It was fine. In the end.

It would hurt. I don't actually have a problem with needles but surely it would hurt.

It would be the opposite of the wonderful sensation of the anesthetic flowing, coldly, into your veins... And?

So Mr Me and I went off on a Friday evening to give blood. It did help that it was in a Primary School Hall so it didn't feel like a hospital. Also, the double doors were thrown open so there was lots of air. The machines do make a noise but there is a gentle chit chat of people who haven't seen each other for a while, nurses chatting while people eat their biscuits and drink themselves strong enough to go home. The team have a clear system so that you don't feel that you are lost or out of place. They are reassuring. They can read people. They can sense a nervous patient or a donor virgin. They smile, reassure and gauge whether you need longer lying down or not.

An info card to take home 


There have also been changes made since I went and saw my sister give blood a few years ago. Now you have to drink a pint of water before you start and you are given exercises to do throughout the process to prevent your blood pressure going all over the place. Ultimately to reduce the sense of wooziness or fainting. I lay there staring at the comforting art of primary school children that adorned the walls. I crossed and uncrossed my legs. I nearly gave myself the giggles in trying to clench my bum cheeks and thigh muscles as per the exercise suggestions. I looked at other donors and wondered, briefly, if they were doing the exercises. I am a bleeder so about four minutes later my donation was complete. I'd done it. NOT SO FAST. You've not tried standing up yet and surely the relief might, in itself, make you collapse. A nurse appeared with the nicest little cup of lemon squash I've ever tasted. She sat me up and saw the blood drain from my face. So we chatted. We chatted about the local area, the school, her grown up son. I was laughing. She was laughing. Then she helped me stand and sent me to the corner for biscuits/crisps and more drinks - hot or cold. I had done it. I felt fine.

A sticker to prove to myself that I really had done it!


And, there was barely a mark on me. By the time I got home I was exhausted and I did sleep well that night but I think that is allowed, under the circumstances.

I would urge anyone reading this (if, indeed, such people are) to donate blood. Don't assume that because you are scared, busy, or "going to do that tomorrow" that you can't. The team are great. It's easier than you think and yes, it does leave you feeling just that little bit worthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment